Saturday, April 4, 2009

Earth Mother??

Today I got up early, scraped the thin layer of ice off of the Suburban and headed to our town's recycling sales day. I got in line with all the other anxious people ready to make a difference...but mostly we just wanted to save $$$$ on our 'earth friendly' items. I got two 90 Gallon rain barrels for watering the plants & lawn this summer ($35 ea. instead of $179), then a couple of "Earth Machine" composts, one for me and one for my son-in-law. I felt great about beating the crowd and saving $$, I enjoyed some dried organic apples for a snack and started homework and decided it was too nice for me to be inside all day. After all it was a day to focus on health and our natural resources.
I began to unload the rain barrels and discovered they came up to my shoulder when they slid out of the back of the truck! ~Strange, I didn't notice them being that tall when the handsome man was loading them for me.~ None the less, I proceed. What happens next is almost~almost~ funny...I try to figure out how to man handle this thing and discover that there is not only no place to hold it, but it's HEAVY!
So, I decided to maybe move it end over end....but not so easy when it's flat on one side and round on the other....that's when I got the first bruise! right on my shin...#$@#$%$^$, yes, it hurt!
I wrangle the thing into a position to try and pull it along....not a great idea with the pine needles, garbage cans and assorted yard care items in my path. That's when all goes into slow motion and I see myself falling over the barrel and the same shin is now hurting again. ~

I decide not to look under my jeans until I've figured out a way to master this beast. I just don't want to know...After a few more minutes of wrestling I found my arms in a position that worked! I could easily pick it up....and do.
Having placed both barrels into a temporary storage spot until I decide to hook them up to my gutters and drainage system, I retreat back into the house.
Earth Mother time is finished , now sporting a 4 inch long scrape and bruise on my shin for my efforts.
Homework and something really UNhealthy is calling my name....ok, I guess its a little funny :>)

No comments: