Saturday, May 15, 2010

International Lunch...

It is just after 2 pm on a Saturday in Foggia, Italy. I have been doing a little homework, surfing the net, and resting most of the day. I just came back from the commerciale (grocery store). I was hungry for lunch and decided to make it with what I had.
A large Italian roll (I ate about 1/2 of it), sliced open and spread with our US Philly Cream Cheese, then a slice of freshly made chicken lunch meat. I had a side dish of fresh Gigante Green Olives dripping in olive oil and light spices. Washed it all down with a Corona. ... yep, the best of 3 countries, right there in front of me!

Eating in Italy is different from what I am used to. Breakfast is mainly fresh meats, cheeses and bread, with a various assortment of cakes and pastries. You can find fruit on a side table, but it's not one of the main selections. I asked every 2 or 3 days for some scrambled eggs and if I'm lucky they have cooked them thoroughly with no runny parts. Breakfast at the hotel is ok, but I am really glad I brought my instant organic oatmeal, and found some local fresh almonds to sprinkle on top.
I am also grateful for the coffee pot I purchased and have in my room. Enjoying the smell of fresh brewed Starbucks in my room in the morning is like a slice of home for me. (no, I can't buy Starbucks here, but a friend brought some back on his last trip to the US...YEAH for friends!)
The restaurants do not open until 7:30 or 8 pm for dinner. I kind of like that, except that I need to get up early in the morning. Nonetheless it is great to see families showing up to begin dinner about 9:30 or so when I am ready to leave for a good nights rest.
It's interesting too, that all dishes are served in succession. Antipasta (appetizers), then typcially a first and then second course (one is always some sort of pasta), then dessert. At the slow lunches it can be up to 5 or 6 courses. (Takes 3 hours as you can imagine)....The good thing for me is that it is an al carte approach and I don't have to order more than I want to eat. In the US we are used to the meat, starch and veggie all coming on the same plate...not necessarily the way it happens here. Sometimes there are meat and potatoes on the same plate, but I haven't seen pasta on the same plate with meat.
I am learning to pace myself or I would have gained a bit of weight by now. Fortunately my clothes are starting to get a little baggy...not much, but a little.....That is encouragement enough for me to continue to be aware of what I consume.
I love the fresh olives of every sort and am excited to bring some facoccia/pizza flour home for my friend Christi to try. I hear the flour makes all the difference. I will never be able to eat US pizza without wishing for an Ortalano Pizza from my favorite local restaurant.
Ciao' , time for homework...can't drop the ball after this long....